February 19, 2009

Swedish Apple Pie Cake


So this recipe came from my grandmother June, the best ever grandma who loved to spoil her grandkids, but also happened to be a fabulous cook. She has had some pretty amazing homemade treats come out of her kitchen. Her coconut cake is my favorite...and that will be a featured in another post soon. But for now.....let's focus on this very quick and easy dessert. It has a cake like consistancy and is very light. Oh my yumminess!!!!! Oh, and did I tell you how quick this is to make. It takes just minutes to mix the ingredients together. Ok, so it took me about 5 minutes to peel, core and dice the apples...but hey...did I tell you how quick this is. This most certainly is a great dessert to make with your kids. The best thing is that they can say they created a homemade dessert.

This can be garnished and served in so many different ways....In fact, the next time I make this, I'm going to serve it with a caramel sauce on the side. Oh my......I can't wait!

Happy baking!

Wine Pairing: This would be great with an Icewine. Try Inniskillin 2006 Icewine. If you like dessert wines...you will love this!

Look for a post soon dedicated to my passion for Icewines.

Swedish Applie Pie Cake

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup walnuts or pecans chopped
2 cups apples peeled and diced

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 10 inch pie plate.
Put first 6 ingredients into a bowl and stir all together. Once combined add your vanilla extract, nuts and apples. Stir until all combined and pour mixture into your buttered pie plate.
Bake for about 30-35 minutes. Your cake will puff up a little and a toothpick should come out clean.
Let rest about 30 minutes and serve warm with ice cream or also good at room tempature.

I think that you will like this one!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Stacey Snacks said...

Kendra,
There is no butter or oil in this cake? I would like to make it, but wanted to check w/ you first.
I love how you pair the wines with the food!
Thanks,
Stacey Snacks